Digital asset mining company Core Scientific mined a total of 1,044 bitcoin in December, taking its total for the year to 5,769.
- As of the end of the year, Core Scientific held 5,296 BTC (approximately $248 million at current prices), according to an announcement Wednesday.
- The total of 5,769 BTC mined in 2021 comfortably exceeds that of Bitfarms and Marathon Digital, which both made similar announcements Monday, having mined 3,452 BTC and 3,197 BTC, respectively. For December, Bitfarms mined 363 bitcoins, while Marathon mined 484.5.
- Core Scientific operates around 67,000 ASICS mining machines, representing a hashrate of 6.6 EH/s.
- Last July, the firm announced it would be going public via a merger worth $4.3 billion with special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) Power & Digital Infrastructure Acquisition.
- Power & Digital shareholders will be asked to give their approval for the merger at a special meeting on Jan. 19.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.