CoinFund, Franklin Templeton Back Metaversal in $50M Funding Round
The venture studio is using the money to add to its NFT portfolio and invest in metaverse companies.
NFT venture studio Metaversal raised $50 million in a Series A funding round that was led by CoinFund and Foxhaven Asset Management and that included Franklin Templeton, the company announced Tuesday.
- The non-fungible token firm says it will use the funding to increase its portfolio and support companies working toward building an open metaverse.
- Interest in NFTs is rising again with projects like Bored Ape Yacht Club eclipsing $1 billion in all-time sales on Tuesday.
- For context, Metaversal was the first institutional investor in ConstitutionDAO and has collected more than 750 NFTs to date.
- Collab+Currency, Dapper Labs, Digital Currency Group (DCG) and Rarible were also participants in the funding round, according to a press release. (DCG is the parent company of an editorially independent CoinDesk.)
- The venture studio plans to collaborate with Dapper Labs, creator of the popular NFT platform NBA Top Shot, and Rarible, an NFT marketplace, the press release said.
- “We are thrilled to welcome some of the foremost blockchain and technology investors into our mission to invest in the infinite stories of our culture,” Yossi Hasson, CEO of Metaversal, said in the statement.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.