The crypto industry needs centralized systems in order to integrate with the traditional finance industry, according to Changpeng “CZ” Zhao, CEO of Binance.
- The founder and CEO of the world’s largest crypto exchange by trading volume was responding to users’ queries for a video on Binance’s YouTube channel on Thursday. One user had stated: “The centralized organizations are always ready to f**k you up. #DeFi is the future.”
- “If you think that, don’t touch any centralized systems,” Zhao said. “Stay in the decentralized world, all the power to you.”
- Centralized systems are needed to help bring money into crypto from mainstream finance while also providing an exit route, he said.
- Another user bemoaned the lack of platforms to trade crypto that don’t require know-your-customer (KYC) authentication, following Binance’s own regulatory challenges in this area in recent months.
- “There are smaller platforms that don’t require KYC, but I would highly recommend you do not use those platforms,” Zhao responded.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.