Crypto Exchange Bitpanda Lists Bitcoin Exchange-Traded Note on Deutsche Boerse
The note is physically backed by bitcoin kept in cold storage and will trade in euros.
Bitpanda, a cryptocurrency investment platform based in Vienna, has launched its first exchange-traded cryptocurrency note (ETC). The note will track the price of bitcoin and be traded in euros.
- Bitpanda, which has a valuation of $4.1 billion, said the Bitpanda Bitcoin ETC is listed on Deutsche Boerse’s Xetra market. It plans to add more crypto ETC products in 2022.
- The Bitpanda Bitcoin ETC is physically backed by bitcoin kept in cold storage with a regulated custodian. The product is targeting investors looking to “diversify their portfolio and get access to the world of cryptocurrencies,” Bitpanda said.
- This year has been characterized by the introduction of physical cryptocurrency-backed exchange-traded products in many jurisdictions, though not in the U.S. Xetra has hosted the introduction of products from 21 Shares, ETC Group and WisdomTree.
- Bitpanda’s first ETC is another diversification move for the company founded as a bitcoin exchange in 2014. It has since expanded beyond crypto to offer trading in stocks, precious metals and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) through a mobile app. It has more than 3 million users.
- “Issuing an entirely EU [European Union] based Bitcoin ETC with euro as base currency, we are able to offer exposure to an alternative asset class that we feel is ripe for opportunity in the current market environment,” CEO Eric Demuth said in a press release.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.