Bitcoin (BTC) will replace the U.S. dollar Jack Dorsey said on Tuesday, in response to a tweet by rapper Cardi B.
- Cardi B broadly asked if crypto would replace the U.S. currency, to which Dorsey replied “Yes, Bitcoin will.”
- His enthusiasm wanes, however, when it comes to the way Web 3, the third generation of internet services that has been made possible by decentralized networks, is funded.
- “You don’t own ‘web3′ The VCs and their LPs do,” Dorsey tweeted, referring to venture capital firms and investors known as limited partners.
- The tweet spurred the crypto community on Twitter to react, with some criticizing the former Twitter CEO and others applauding him.
- There has been a growing number of VCs investing in Web 3 firms. Most recently Andreessen Horowitz led a $36 million Series A funding round for Web 3 infrastructure company Mysten Labs.
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk also weighed in, tweeting: “Has anyone seen web3? I can’t find it.”
- Bitcoin was trading about $48,900 at press time.
- Parag Agrawal, the new CEO of Twitter, has been heavily involved in decentralized projects in the company.
UPDATE (Dec. 21, 08:53 UTC): Adds additional details in third and fourth bullet. Adds bitcoin price in fifth bullet.
UPDATE (Dec. 21, 14:39 UTC): Adds comments on Web 3 starting in third bullet; updates bitcoin price.
UPDATE (Dec. 21, 15:06 UTC): Adds Web 3 to headline.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.