Kraken Ventures Raises $65M for Early-Stage Crypto Fund
The fund will invest in financial infrastructure, Web 3, DeFi, artificial intelligence and machine learning startups.
Kraken Ventures raised $65 million for its first fund, which will invest in early-stage cryptocurrency and tech startups.
- Kraken Ventures (whose largest liquidity provider is Kraken, the fourth-largest crypto exchange by volume) in February launched an independent fund led by its former head of corporate development Brandon Gath.
- The new fund currently holds positions in the blockchain infrastructure platform Blockdaemon, digital asset platform Anchorage and crypto database provider Messari and more, Kraken said Friday.
- Kraken Ventures said it will invest in financial infrastructure, Web 3, decentralized finance (DeFi), consumer crypto protocols, artificial intelligenc, and machine learning startups. The fund will target initial investments in the $500,000 to $2 million range.
- “Our focus now is to put that money to work and help some of the most innovative projects and their exceptionally talented founders accelerate the development of their companies and protocols,” Gath said.
- The Texas-based fund also expanded its team in Europe with the appointment of Laurens De Poorter as head of European operations. Before joining the fund, De Poorter worked at Dawn Capital overseeing early-stage investments in enterprise software and fintech companies
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.