Robinhood Working on New Crypto Gifting Feature: Report
The feature would allow users to send crypto to other users as a gift, according to Bloomberg.
Code discovered in a beta version of Robinhood’s iPhone app reveals the popular no-fee trading platform is considering adding a feature that allows users to send cryptocurrency to each other via digital gift cards, according to a Bloomberg report.
- The cards can be accompanied by messages up to 180 characters long, and the money can be retracted anytime before it is accepted by the recipient, according to Bloomberg.
- A Robinhood spokesperson declined to comment to CoinDesk.
- The code was found in a beta version of the app by developer Steve Moser, who shared it with Bloomberg.
- In the past, beta versions of Robinhood’s apps have revealed features such as support for crypto wallets, Bloomberg wrote.
- Commissions from crypto trading have become an increasingly significant source of revenue for Robinhood in recent quarters.
- On Monday, crypto tracing firm Chainalysis announced it will provide data and compliance tools to Robinhood’s online crypto trading service, Robinhood Crypto.
UPDATE (Dec. 14, 0:23 UTC): Adds Robinhood response.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.