FTSE Russell Plans to Develop Crypto Index With Over 40 Digital Assets: Report
The index will “sit alongside” the FTSE 100 and Russell 2000.
FTSE Russell, the company behind the benchmark index of the U.K. stock market, is planning the development of a crypto index containing 43 digital assets, according to a report from London-based business newspaper City AM, published on Monday.
- The index will “sit alongside” the FTSE 100 and Russell 2000, said Kristen Mierzwa, the head of exchange-traded fund (ETF) strategy and business development for the FTSE Russell.
- FTSE Russell is a subsidiary of the London Stock Exchange that produces market indices.
- “Right now we’ve got 43 assets which have made their way through the vetting process,” Mierzwa said. “This was clearly becoming a market that people wanted data around.”
- The index will be U.K. and EU compliant, and its vetting process would screen out the vast majority of the 11,000 known cryptos. Stablecoins and even meme-based coins, such as dogecoin, could be added, Mierzwa confirmed.
- The news represents a welcomed endorsement for cryptocurrencies from the U.K.’s mainstream financial world that is often more conservative in its messaging. Bank of England governor Andrew Bailey, for example, has issued warnings about the potential threat of crypto to financial stability in recent weeks.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.