Bitcoin Miner TeraWulf Raises $200M in Debt and Equity
The miner expects to complete its merger with Ikonics and go public during the week of Dec. 13.
TeraWulf – an environmentally minded bitcoin mining company – raised $200 million in debt and equity financing from institutional and individual investors, the company announced Thursday.
- “TeraWulf’s ability to raise private capital underscores the attractiveness of bringing a new paradigm for cryptocurrency mining to the public markets,” CEO Paul Prager said in a statement.
- The miner, which expects to mine bitcoin powered by nuclear, hydro and solar energy, will use the funding to achieve mining power of 6 exahash per second by the second half of 2022.
- The financing includes about $123.5 million in a three-year, senior secured term loan and subscription agreements with investors to purchase newly issued shares of the company’s common stock for about $76.5 million.
- Investment bank Moelis acted as an exclusive placement agent for TeraWulf’s debt and equity financing.
- In June, TeraWulf said that it will merge with Nasdaq-listed Ikonics (IKNX) to go public and trade under the symbol “WULF.” The miner said on Thursday that the deal is expected to be completed during the week of Dec. 13.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.