Blockade Games Raises $5M Round at $23M Valuation From Animoca Brands, Others
The round was led by metaverse and NFT stalwart Animoca Brands.
Blockchain-based game developer Blockade Games has raised $5 million in a funding round at a $23 million valuation, the company announced on Wednesday.
- The investment round was led by Hong Kong’s Animoca Brands, a regular fixture in most metaverse funding rounds these days. Animoca Brands also announced on Wednesday that it led an $18 million Series A round for play-to-earn (P2E) company Avocado Guild.
- Blockade has also attracted investment from notable investors such as Mike Dudas, as part of 6th Man Ventures, Meltem Demirors via her personal investment firm Shiny Pony and Christine Moy, whose day job is overseeing blockchain development at JPMorgan.
- Blockade develops an open-source developer platform as well as games like flagship franchise “Neon District.”
- “We are pleased to be leading this investment round into Blockade Games,” Animoca Brands CEO Robby Young said in a statement. “The team are amongst the most experienced veterans of the blockchain games industry, and they really understand the power of bringing tokenomics to games.”
- Blockade was founded by Marguerite deCourcelle, aka Coin Artist, a longtime fixture in the non-fungible token (NFT) community.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.