Celebrities Snoop Dogg and Deadmau5, consumer brand guru Shaun Neff and the founders of Sandbox and the Polygon Network are the newest members of Outlier Ventures’ Base Camp Web 3 accelerator and will invest in and advise the program’s startups.
- The Outlier Ventures’ accelerator was launched in 2019 and has been dubbed the “Y-Combinator” of the metaverse, raising over $250 million in seed funding so far for its portfolio of 100 projects.
- Projects funded by the firm include those involved in decentralized finance (DeFi), non-fungible tokens (NFT) and blockchain infrastructure, as well as NFT-based digital couture fashion brands, avatar marketplaces, play-to-earn games and augmented reality pets.
- The accelerator’s newest strategic members also include Sandbox co-founder Sebastien Borget and Polygon Network founder Sandeep Nailwal.
- “The metaverse will eventually connect every platform, virtual world and game into a single permissionless peer-to-peer economy native to the internet, most importantly underpinned by crypto and Web 3 technology,” said Outlier Ventures CEO Jamie Burke in a statement.
- The metaverse is a space generated by the convergence of virtual worlds, augmented reality and internet services. By offering a collective virtual experience, it has introduced new opportunities to creators, gamers and artists.
- Facebook recently changed its corporate name to Meta and announced its metaverse will support NFTs.
- “In the same way that crypto is increasingly experienced through immersive experiences that bridge the real world with virtual assets, the metaverse makes our physical and digital spaces indistinguishable,” noted Burke.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.