Sotheby’s to Allow Live Bidding in Ether for Works by Banksy
Auctioneer Oliver Barker will be fielding real-time bids for the famed street artist’s “Trolley Hunters” and “Love Is In The Air.”
Sotheby’s, the 277-year-old British auction house, will allow live bidding in ether cryptocurrency in an upcoming virtual exhibition on Nov. 18 to be held at its “headquarters” in Decentraland.
- Sotheby’s auctioneer Oliver Barker will be fielding real-time bids from its New York saleroom for street artist Banksy’s “Trolley Hunters” and “Love Is In The Air” (2006).
- Sotheby’s has been accepting cryptocurrency as a form of payment for physical artwork for a while and sold a separate painting by Banksy in May.
- Art fans interested in the auction can tune in from anywhere around the world and follow the live-streamed broadcast by following Sotheby’s social media channels.
- In April, Sotheby’s held its first sale of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) by pseudonymous artist Pak. The sale fetched $16.8 million over a three-day drop.
- In October, Sotheby’s launched a new platform called “Sotheby’s Metaverse” that allows visitors to view digital artworks available at auction, as well as learn about the collectors and artists behind NFTs.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.