Twitter Is Launching a Dedicated Crypto Team
The social media giant has tapped Tess Rinearson to lead its new team focused on decentralizing social media.
Twitter is launching a dedicated cryptocurrency team as it continues to support the adoption of digital assets and decentralized apps.
- Twitter has tapped Tess Rinearson to lead its new cryptocurrency team. Prior to joining Twitter, Rinearson worked at Tendermint on the consensus engine Tendermint Core, and previously worked at the software payments firm Interstellar.
- In her Twitter thread announcing the move, Rinearson wrote that “First, we’ll be exploring how we can support the growing interest among creators to use decentralized apps to manage virtual goods and currencies, and to support their work and communities.”
- “Looking farther ahead, we’ll be exploring how ideas from crypto communities can help us push the boundaries of what’s possible with identity, community, ownership and more,” Rinearson continued.
- She also said that the group will be working to “help shape the future of decentralized social media.”
- Currently, Twitter allows users to send and receive bitcoin-denominated tips via third-party payment channels.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.