Bitcoin cash (BCH) saw a sharp but short-lived uptick in its value on Friday after the publication of a fraudulent press release claiming that U.S. supermarket giant Kroger would be accepting the cryptocurrency as payment this holiday season.
- The crypto rose over 4.6% from $602.63 at around 11:30 UTC to $630.70 less than 15 minutes later following the fraudulent announcementhttps://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kroger-to-accept-bitcoin-cash-this-holiday-season-301417472.html’s publication. BCH subsequently gave back all its gains to fall below the price it had been prior to the announcement. At the time of writing, it was priced at $601.74.
- The fraudulent announcement, which was issued on PR Newswire and appeared on the Kroger website, claimed the grocery retailer would be accepting BCH for all in-store and online purchases from Dec. 1.
- A company spokesperson confirmed to CoinDesk at 11:49 UTC that the release was fraudulent. At press time, the release had been removed from the company site.
- “This morning a press release was fraudulently issued claiming to be The Kroger Co. that falsely stated the organization will begin to accept bitcoin cash. This communication was fraudulent and is unfounded and should be disregarded,” a spokesperson said.
- This fraud is similar to the one in September which fraudulently claimed that Walmart would start to accept litecoin.
UPDATE (NOV. 5 13:20 UTC): Adds Kroger’s statement in fourth bullet.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.