Commonwealth Bank will be the first in Australia to offer crypto services to customers, the bank said Wednesday.
- The bank will offer a crypto exchange and a custody service in collaboration with Gemini and intelligence firm Chainalysis.
- Customers will have access to 10 digital assets, including bitcoin, ether, bitcoin cash, and litecoin.
- Commonwealth Bank will integrate Gemini’s crypto exchange into its app through an exclusive partnership, the bank’s CEO Matt Comyn said in the press release.
- The offerings will start next week as a pilot. Commonwealth Bank will add features progressively.
- Australia is the world’s third-largest adopter of crypto, an October survey found.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.