Bitcoin mining company Fortress Technologies has ordered 4,500 Bitmain Antminer S19j Pro machines as it seeks to capture a greater share of mining revenue.
- The purchase will more than triple Fortress’ hashrate from 195 petahash per second to 645 PH/s, the company announced Monday. A petahash is a measure of computational power.
- The machines are scheduled for delivery in monthly instalments from April to September 2022.
- Financial terms weren’t disclosed, and Fortress didn’t immediately respond to CoinDesk’s request for details.
- The purchase follows two weeks after Fortress bought 180 Whatsminers M30S machines, which are expected to be installed by the middle of this month.
- At the time, Fortress named Antonin Scalia CEO and Drew Armstrong chief operating officer. Both executives came from Galaxy Digital.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.