Greenidge Generation to Expand Into Texas, Acquire South Carolina Site
Greenidge also doubled its order of S19j Pro bitcoin mining machines from Bitmain to 22,500 units.
Bitcoin mining company Greenidge Generation is eyeing expansion into Texas and buying a site in South Carolina.
- The company (Nasdaq: GREE) announced Thursday it is entering into an agreement regarding potentially constructing new data centers in Texas.
- It also agreed to acquire printing company LSC Communications’ facility in Spartanburg, South Carolina. It had originally intended to lease that site.
- The purchase price for the South Carolina site is $15 million. This sale is expected to be completed in early December, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
- The company also reached an agreement with a developer over six sites in Texas as potential locations for data centers. The sites have 2,000 MW of electrical capacity, and some have access to wind and solar power generation.
- Greenidge also doubled its recent order of S19j Pro mining machines from Bitmain to 22,500 units. This brings the firm’s total order with Bitmain to 29,000 miners, which are to be delivered by the third quarter of 2022.
UPDATE (OCT. 22, 11:10 UTC): Rewrites headline to remove ambiguity; adds South Caroline purchase price, details of Texas expansion.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.