- The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) approved bitcoin futures ETFs on Friday.
- ProShares filed for its Bitcoin Strategy ETF this past summer. The fund is linked to bitcoin futures that are traded on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
- With the SEC mulling dozens of bitcoin ETFs, Chairman Gary Gensler has made it clear that funds linked to the futures market rather than the underlying asset were more likely to win regulatory approval.
- “This is an exciting step but not the last,” Douglas Yones, head of exchange-traded products at the NYSE, told the New York Times’ DealBook,
- News of long-awaited approval for a bitcoin-related ETF sent the world’s largest crypto by market value to levels not seen since April. Bitcoin climbed above $60,000 for the first time in nearly six months on Friday.
- There will be hopes that the debut of a bitcoin ETF on the NYSE will open the floodgates to a stream of similar products winning regulatory approval and accelerating the flow of investments into crypto.
UPDATE (OCT. 18, 11:51 UTC): Adds bitcoin futures to headline, quote in sixth bullet point, background starting in third.
UPDATE (OCT. 18, 12:57 UTC): Adds information about SEC filing in lead paragraph.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.