Billion-Dollar Toy Brand L.O.L Surprise! to Build Its Own NFT Marketplace
Ioconic is helping the brand build out its own marketplace where users can mint, buy and sell NFTs.
MGA Entertainment, makers of the top-selling L.O.L. Surprise! dolls, is partnering with Ioconic, a company that helps bring brands into the non-fungible token (NFT) industry, to bring L.O.L. Surprise! to the blockchain in the fourth quarter.
- L.O.L. Surprise! has amassed $25 billion in retail sales for the privately-held MGA, according to a press release.
- Ioconic is helping the brand build out its own marketplace where users can mint, buy and sell NFTs that will be a part of the toy property’s soon-to-be released digital trading card game.
- Fans of the brand’s popular dolls will also be able to connect their physical purchases to the blockchain via QR codes and display their collection digitally.
- “By expanding into the exciting NFT space, we hope to better engage with our customers and deliver serious value,” said Isaac Larian, CEO and founder of MGA Entertainment.
- Ioconic CEO Jamie Lewis noted that the company is working on “measures to prevent overspending and super stringent security” to create a safe environment for L.O.L.’s young fan base.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.