Twitter Exec Shares ‘Sneak Peek’ of NFT Profile Verification
Users’ avatars would get a check mark similar to the blue check mark given to verified Twitter users.
Twitter’s head of consumer marketing, Justin Taylor, tweeted a video on Wednesday showing what the social media company is working on for its non-fungible token profile verification that it first announced last week.
- In the video, which was prepared and first tweeted out by Twitter software engineer Mada Aflak, users are able to click on their avatars to edit their profiles and select “NFT.”
- From there, they connect to their preferred wallet (in the mock-up the default wallets included Coinbase, Trust, Argent and MetaMask) and then download all their NFTs from OpenSea. After selecting one to be their avatar, it would then appear with an Ethereum check mark similar to the blue check mark given to verified Twitter users.
- Aflak emphasized in the video that this was just an experiment with a mock-up, so anything could change.
- The use of NFTs as avatars on Twitter has skyrocketed in the last six months, making a system for verifying their ownership and provenance a valuable feature for Twitter to add.
- Despite Taylor’s sharing of the video, it’s worth noting that while Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has been an ardent and longtime supporter of bitcoin, he has not expressed enthusiasm for Ethereum in the past.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.