The main webpage for Nigeria’s central bank digital currency (CBDC) has gone live, earlier than next month’s planned rollout date for the digital naira.
- According to the site, the eNaira is a “unique form of money” denominated in the national currency serving as both a medium of exchange and store of value.
- The Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) information technology director, Rakiya Mohammed, had announced the bank’s intention to roll out the country’s CBDC by Oct. 1.
- Nigeria’s digital currency will be issued and regulated by the CBN.
- Financial officials in Nigeria have been struggling with crypto’s rise in the African nation. Nigeria banned crypto transactions within the banking sector in February. CBDCs are seen as an effective means of combating crypto’s increasing popularity in a digital age.
- A CBDC touts better payment prospects than traditional systems or physical currency, especially when it comes to retail transactions, though it is not without its downsides.
- Still, the website claims the eNaira will cultivate economic growth, provide cheaper remittances, limit fraudulent behavior and is secure, among other benefits for its use.
- The eNaira will be accompanied by a wallet sanctioned by the CBN that users can either link to their bank accounts or pay as they go with a prepay option, according to the web page.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.