Scaramucci Says Most Institutional Investors Remain Hesitant to Invest in Crypto: Report
The hedge fund manager also predicted that a large bank will seek to buy Coinbase or a similar crypto start-up.
Anthony Scaramucci, a former White House communications director and the hedge fund manager of SkyBridge Capital, said the majority of institutional investors are still reluctant to invest in crypto and blockchain technology.
- The founder of SkyBridge Capital told Bloomberg that crypto is dominated by around 10% of the financial-service community.
- “The institutions are not there … anybody who’s telling you there’s institutional adoption into this space is not being totally honest or they’re seeing something that I’m not seeing,” Scaramucci said.
- Scaramucci’s comments come as many mainstream banks and financial institutions have begun applying for and offering more crypto investments to their clients.
- The hedge fund manager also predicted that one of the big banks would eventually buy a Coinbase or a similar crypto start-up as decentralized finance continues to grow rapidly.
- In March, Scaramucci told CoinDesk TV more companies should be holding bitcoin on their balance sheet because the U.S. monetary supply was expanding so rapidly.
- Earlier this month, First Trust applied to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to offer a crypto exchange-traded fund that would be managed by SkyBridge Capital.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.