Games maker Animoca Brands has entered into an agreement to acquire a majority stake in Bondly, a platform for non-fungible token (NFT) creators. Terms were not disclosed, but Animoca said the deal was not “material.”
- Animoca said its investment in Bondly will help drive mass NFT adoption across its portfolio companies operating in gaming, sports, entertainment and collectibles.
- Bondly’s technology includes NFT swap protocol and cross-chain NFT minting which will allow gamers to move NFT assets from one blockchain to another. The firm created and distributed YouTuber Logan Paul’s first-ever NFT collectibles for fans.
- Animoca has focused its recent investments on the NFT space, including OpenSea and Dapper Laps, and raised $139 million in funding this year at a valuation of $1.1 billion. The money will be used to fund strategic investments, product development and licenses for popular intellectual property.
- “Bondly has developed powerful tools to help onboard brands and individuals to the world of NFTs, and has built valuable relationships with many leading brands and artists,” said Yat Siu, the co-founder and chairman of Animoca Brands, in the announcement.
- In July, Bondly was exploited by an unknown party in a token-minting attack that led to an 82% price crash in its native token, BONDLY.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.