Decentraland has made a strategic investment in decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) Decentral Games to support the project’s delivery of metaverse poker.
- The blockchain-based virtual world’s foundation has made an unspecified purchase of Decentral Games’ native token, $DG, according to an announcement shared with CoinDesk Thursday.
- The investment will support Decentral Games’ rollout of ICE Poker, a new metaverse-based poker game in which players earn money competing against each other and completing daily challenges.
- Players pay either $DG or ether to receive poker chips and a “wearable” – a non-fungible token (NFT) representing digital attire such as a suit and tie or dress shoes, akin to a dress code to enter a casino. Players can then play poker to earn $ICE tokens and the XP cryptocurrency, allowing them to mint rarer NFTs that earn higher rewards.
- The announcement came shortly after Decentral Games formed a similar strategic partnership with Polygon, in which the project behind an Ethereum-scaling product also invested an unspecified amount in Decentral Games to stake $DG tokens.
- Among Decentral Games’ investors is Digital Currency Group, the parent company of CoinDesk.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.