CleanSpark, a sustainable bitcoin mining company, will invest $145 million into its Norcross, Ga. data center and the surrounding community, the company announced Thursday.
- The company has joined forces with Partnership Gwinnett, an initiative dedicated to bringing new jobs and capital investment to Gwinnett County in the Atlanta area, to assist with the investment.
- CleanSpark will add 20 high-skilled jobs to the Norcross data center it acquired in August for over $6.5 million. The company expects the facility to be fully operational by the end of 2021.
- The company will invest $2 million in power expansion, including onsite renewables, solar installations and other microgrid energy hardware. It will participate in Georgia’s Simple Solar program, which is aimed at growing the state’s solar energy supply, and says its mining operations will be 100% carbon neutral.
- CleanSpark’s investment will cover $7.5 million in property improvements, $132 million in equipment and hardware upgrades, and $4.1 million in people, the company said in a press release.
- CleanSpark CEO Zach Bradford said in a press release that he looks forward to expanding relationships with businesses and government agencies in Georgia and “believes bitcoin mining can make a positive contribution to the neighborhoods we operate in.”
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.