The U.K.’s Post Office will next week start offering users the ability to purchase crypto through its identity-verification service, EasyID.
- People who use the EasyID app will be able to purchase crypto vouchers from decentralized exchange (DEX) Swarm Markets. The vouchers can be redeemed for bitcoin or ether on Swarm’s platform.
- EasyID was introduced by the Post Office in August to help users securely verify their age, identity and other important details and gain access to services on other platforms.
- As well as offering users another route to purchasing crypto, the integration may see more people exposed to decentralized finance (DeFi) through Swarm’s yield farming offering.
- Swarm Markets users who put their assets into the platform’s liquidity pool are rewarded using its payment token SMT.
- Claiming to be the world’s first regulated decentralized finance protocol, BaFin-licensed Swarm Markets said in July that it had onboarded $15 million worth of pledged liquidity. BaFin is Germany’s financial supervisory authority.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.