European soccer giant Paris Saint-Germain named crypto exchange Crypto.com as its official cryptocurrency platform partner, the firm said Thursday.
- The agreement will include the issuing of exclusive non-fungible tokens (NFTs) on the Crypto.com NFT platform.
- Crypto.com will pay a large part of its sponsorship fee with its CRO token. “The multi-year partnership is in the range of 25M–30M Euros, with a significant portion paid in CRO,” the exchange’s CMO, Steven Kalifowitz, told CoinDesk via email.
- Crypto.com co-founder and CEO Kris Marszalek said the partnership with Paris Saint-Germain would help the company achieve its mission of accelerating “the world’s transition to cryptocurrency.”
- The partnership is just the latest example of the growing intersection of professional soccer and crypto – with Paris Saint-Germain one of the main participants of late.
- In August, the storied club, which has won seven of the last nine championships in France’s top professional league, included a payment of crypto fan tokens to help complete the acquisition of star forward Lionel Messi from FC Barcelona.
- As of Friday, the PSG fan token will be available on Crypto.com, Kalifowitz said.
- Club forward Lionel Messi also became part of the NFT trend last month with the launch of “The Messiverse,” featuring crypto artworks celebrating his career by Australia-based digital artist BossLogic.
Jamie Crawley contributed reporting.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.