Venture capital firm FinTech Collective has raised $250 million for its new strategy focused on decentralized finance (DeFi).
- Of the $250 million, $200 million will be used to focus on the firm’s early-stage investments, and $50 million will be used to support open-source, financial protocols and applications being built on Ethereum platforms, the firm said in a press release.
- FinTech Collective's new DeFi strategy will invest across the decentralized finance space in both equity and liquid tokens.
- The funding round brings the firm’s total assets under management to over $500 million.
- In FinTech Collective’s current portfolio, 20% of the investments are in blockchain and DeFi, including five fintech unicorns valued at more than a billion dollars.
- The firm invests globally and has 53 companies operating in the United States, Latin America, the U.K./Europe, and Africa.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.