Venture capital firm FinTech Collective has raised $250 million for its new strategy focused on decentralized finance (DeFi).
- Of the $250 million, $200 million will be used to focus on the firm’s early-stage investments, and $50 million will be used to support open-source, financial protocols and applications being built on Ethereum platforms, the firm said in a press release.
- FinTech Collective's new DeFi strategy will invest across the decentralized finance space in both equity and liquid tokens.
- The funding round brings the firm’s total assets under management to over $500 million.
- In FinTech Collective’s current portfolio, 20% of the investments are in blockchain and DeFi, including five fintech unicorns valued at more than a billion dollars.
- The firm invests globally and has 53 companies operating in the United States, Latin America, the U.K./Europe, and Africa.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.