Marathon Digital to Buy $121M of Mining Machines From Bitmain
The contract is for 30,000 Antminer S19J Pro machines, the company said in a statement.
Marathon Digital Holdings said it agreed to buy $120.7 million of bitcoin mining machines from Bitmain.
- The contract is for 30,000 Antminer S19J Pro machines, the company said in a statement.
- Shipment of the machines will occur in the first half of next year and will expand the company's mining production to over 133,000 bitcoin miners.
- The miners would produce approximately 13.3 EH/s, representing around 12% of the bitcoin network's total hash rate of 109 EH/s as of Aug. 1, the company claimed.
- Las Vegas-based Marathon is among the companies driving bitcoin mining investment in North America at a time when miners in China have been scaling back operations due to the crackdown on the industry from Beijing.
- Marathon secured an agreement in May to have its newly purchased miners hosted at Compute North's 300-megawatt data center in Texas.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.