Revolut, a U.K.-based digital bank, has been valued at $33 billion in a funding round led by SoftBank and Tiger Global Management.
- The round raised $800 million, the company said in a release.
- The figure is six times Revolut's $5.5 billion valuation of February 2020.
- Talks between the U.K. fintech and SoftBank's Vision Fund 2 were reported earlier this month, with indications Revolut could be valued as high as $40 billion and raise as much as $1 billion.
- Revolut intends to use the funds to boost its offering to U.S. customers and to expand into other international markets, such as India.
- The neobank has offered crypto trading since 2017, and in May enabled customers to transfer the assets bought to wallets held elsewhere.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.