Belt Finance to Compensate Users Following $6.23M Attack
Belt Finance said it will compensate users who were directly affected in the 4Belt pool or beltBUSD vault and holders of BELT tokens.
Belt Finance, a platform that provides automated market making for decentralized finance (DeFi), is compensating users following a hack that earned the perpetrator $6.23 million.
- The platform was hacked May 30 in a flash-loan attack that resulted in an overall $50 million loss for the platform.
- In a blog post Tuesday, Belt Finance said it will compensate users who were directly affected in its 4Belt pool or beltBUSD vault and the holders of BELT tokens.
- Belt Finance estimated vault users suffered a 21.36% loss of funds, and pool users lost 5.51%. Overall, the attack cost the beltBUSD pool a combined loss of 50 million BUSD ($50 million), comprising 43.8 million in fees and the 6.23 million the attacker withdrew as profit.
- In the blog post, the firm provided details on how the compensation plan works, including the airdrop of a remedy4BELT (r4BELT) token, and the next steps in the recovery plan.
- Belt Finance said it is also creating a buyback fund to increase BELT value to make liquidity mining on BELT as profitable as possible.
- The firm is committing $3 million to the fund, which is intended to add buy-side pressure to the token and increase its value over time.
- Belt Finance said the team has never sold any of its BELT allocation.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.