PizzaDAO Celebrates Bitcoin Pizza Day With 1M Slice Giveaway

“We’re inviting the world to join us at our pizza party,” said the project’s Sam Weinrott.

AccessTimeIconMay 21, 2021 at 9:51 p.m. UTC
Updated May 9, 2023 at 3:19 a.m. UTC

To celebrate Bitcoin Pizza Day on Saturday, a group of “incredible strangers on the internet” is treating people worldwide to a million free slices.

The project, PizzaDAO’s Rare Pizzas, is providing this pie bounty by selling thousands of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) in the metaverse. Thousands of pizza NFTs from over 300 artists have sold for roughly $1.5 million since March 2021. 

  • Kamala Harris Meme Coin Soars as Biden Drops Out; India’s Tax Policy Unlikely to Change
    01:54
    Kamala Harris Meme Coin Soars as Biden Drops Out; India’s Tax Policy Unlikely to Change
  • HNT Token Scores 40% Gains on Growing Adoption of Helium Mobile
    00:50
    HNT Token Scores 40% Gains on Growing Adoption of Helium Mobile
  • Tokens on WazirX Trade at Discount; Italy's Top Banks Complete Digital Bond Issuance on Polygon
    01:45
    Tokens on WazirX Trade at Discount; Italy's Top Banks Complete Digital Bond Issuance on Polygon
  • Profit-Making Crypto Address Makes New Investment of $16M in BTC
    00:59
    Profit-Making Crypto Address Makes New Investment of $16M in BTC
  • Sam Weinrott, aka Snackman, a member of the Rare Pizzas team, said the project has a shop in Cryptovoxels selling “virtual pizzas” to raise money and support local pizzerias around the world that have been hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

    “We believe that there's not a pizza scarcity problem, there's a pizza distribution problem,” Weinrott said. “Anyone who just wants to celebrate pizza and cryptocurrency can join us. We're inviting the world to join us at our pizza party.”

    PizzaDAO says it has onboarded roughly 380 pizza shops on six continents since first being conceived on Clubhouse in February.

    Weinrott described the effort as a “global bake sale,” with 51% of the proceeds going to pizzerias all over the world and the remaining 49% going toward paying the team.

    Bitcoin Pizza Day

    Bitcoin Pizza Day commemorates the first commercial transaction using bitcoin as currency. On May 22, 2010, when bitcoin was a little over a year old. programmer Laszlo Hanyecz used bitcoin to buy two Papa John’s pizzas for 10,000 BTC. At today’s price, that bitcoin is worth about $352.4 million.

    Bitcoin booster Anthony Pompliano is staging his own Bitcoin Pizza promotion, a popup partnership with 10 independent pizzerias that will raise money for charity but notably not accept bitcoin for payment. Rare Pizzas – with its decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) and embrace of digital assets – may be the more crypto-native celebration of the yearly phenomenon.

    Rare Pizzas has enlisted the help of the Slice app to deliver the free fare.

    “To redeem a free pizza from your favorite local pizzeria, download the Slice app and use code FREEPIZZADAY on May 22nd,” Slice said in a press release.

    Disclosure

    Please note that our privacy policy, terms of use, cookies, and do not sell my personal information has been updated.

    CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk employees, including journalists, may receive options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.