Egypt's Largest Bank Joins Ripple Network for Cross-Border Payments
Egypt is in the top five nations globally in terms of remittance flows from ex-pat communities.
National Bank of Egypt (NBE) is to harness blockchain technology from Ripple for a remittance corridor with the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Egypt's largest bank will work with financial services firm LuLu International Exchange in the UAE to serve the large number of Egyptians working in the Middle Eastern nation, California-based Ripple said on Tuesday.
- The remittance market for Egypt is huge, with the North African country receiving $24 billion in 2020 alone, Ripple said, citing third-party data.
- "Given the important role remittances play in the Egyptian economy, the National Bank of Egypt is continuously aiming to develop and enhance the infrastructure which pertains to this line of business," said Hesham Elsafty, group head for Financial Institutions and International Financial Services at NBE.
- In joining RippleNet – Ripple's distributed ledger-based payments network – the bank and LuLu seek to access "cheaper, quicker and more reliable" payments, according to the announcement.
- The firms do not make clear if they will use the XRP cryptocurrency (developed in large part by Ripple) to move liquidity. XRP is an option for clients on RippleNet.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.