- The bank will then protect itself from volatility by buying and selling bitcoin futures in block trades through CME Group, using Cumberland DRW as its trading partner.
- NDFs are futures contracts in which counterparties settle the difference between the negotiated NDF price or rate and the spot price or rate on a notional agreed sum.
- In January, CME took the prime spot on the list of the biggest bitcoin futures trading platforms, indicating a continued rise in institutional participation.
- In March, Goldman Sachs relaunched its cryptocurrency trading desk after a three-year hiatus, with plans to once again support bitcoin futures trading.
- A source with knowledge told CoinDesk that Goldman quietly began offering bitcoin derivatives contracts to clients last month to test its hedging methods.
UPDATE (May 6, 19:40 UTC): Adds confirmation from Goldman Sachs.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.