Cryptocurrency exchange Crypto.com has signed a sponsorship deal with the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League (NHL).
- Financial terms of the deal between the Hong Kong-based exchange and the 24-time Stanley Cup–winning Canadiens were not disclosed.
- Crypto.com's branding will be displayed at center ice starting with the next home game against the Vancouver Canucks on Friday night.
- This is the team's first such partnership with a cryptocurrency firm.
- It's just the latest sign of crypto firms' mainstream aspirations.
- The Canadiens announcement comes days after reports that the FTX crypto exchange is in talks to purchase naming rights to the arena of the NBA's Miami Heat.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.