Cryptocurrency exchange Crypto.com is developing a non-fungible token (NFT) platform and has appointed music industry veteran Joe Conyers III to lead the project.
- The exchange announced Tuesday the invite-only platform will feature "the world’s top artists, athletes and sports leagues."
- Conyers, now executive vice president of the NFT product, has over a decade of experience in the music industry, most recently serving as chief strategy officer at Downtown Music Holdings.
- In his time at Downtown, he co-founded songwriter royalty collection service Songtrust.
- Crypto.com aims to grow its user base from 10 million to 100 million over the next two years, and said the NFT marketplace would be integral to this, given the sector's recent boom.
- "There is no doubt that the NFT market will be a major growth driver," said Kris Marszalek, Crypto.com CEO.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.