Oslo stock exchange-listed Aker ASA has set up a new company dedicated to investing in bitcoin projects and companies.
- In an announcement Monday, the holding company focused on energy, construction and fishing said its new entity, Seetee AS, will keep all its liquid investable assets in bitcoin and will also enter the bitcoin mining industry.
- "First, we will use bitcoin as our treasury asset and join the community. In Bitcoin-speak, we will be hodlers," Norwegian billionaire Kjell Inge Roekke, chairman and majority owner of Aker, said in a letter to shareholders.
- Seetee is launching with 500 million Norwegian Krone ($58.3 million) in capital.
- The new firm has already partnered with Canada’s Blockstream for work on bitcoin mining and sidechain projects.
- "Bitcoin may still go to zero. But it can also become the core of a new monetary architecture. If so, one bitcoin may be worth millions of dollars," said Roekke.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.