Cryptocurrency investment fund FD7 Ventures has announced its investment in BitcoinBlack, a firm that says it's soon to offer Canada's first bitcoin credit card.
- FD7 acquired 33% of Class A voting common shares in BitcoinBlack for an undisclosed amount, according to an announcement Sunday.
- Billed as "The World's Most Exclusive Metal Black Card," only 1,000 of the credit cards will be issued in 2021, with shipping expected around June 15.
- These customers will be able to transact in bitcoin wherever Visa payment is accepted.
- Prakash Chand, FD7 managing partner, said the firm invested in BitcoinBlack "because it is a big step toward the mainstream adoption of Bitcoin and crypto across Canada."
- The investment firm now plans to convert another $370 million of bitcoin into Polkadot later this month.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.