Tencent and Ant Group-Backed Banks to Join China's Digital Yuan Trial: Report
The two commercial banks join the six state-owned banks already participating in the CBDC trial.
MYbank and WeBank – institutions backed by Chinese giants Ant Group and Tencent, respectively – are reportedly set to join the ongoing trial of the digital yuan.
- Digital wallets from the two private banks will be added to the People's Bank of China’s digital yuan app alongside those from the six state-owned banks already participating, writes Bloomberg Monday, citing people familiar with the matter.
- MYbank is already helping research and development on the central bank digital currency. The bank told Bloomberg it will "steadily advance the trial pursuant to the overall arrangement of the People’s Bank of China."
- China has been trying to curb the power of commercial payments companies, per the report, and the addition of MYbank and WeBank to the digital yuan trials could be a setback to firms like Alipay and WeChat Pay.
- If and when it is launched, the digital yuan would be the first national digital currency from a major country.
- The trial has so far seem multiple "lotteries" in which Chinese residents have been gifted the token to spend at local merchants with the appropriate technology to accept them.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.