Bitpanda, a digital investment platform, has launched a Visa debit card that allows customers to switch among multiple assets such as cryptocurrencies, fiat currencies and precious metals to fund payments.
- Calling the card a world first, the Vienna, Austria-based firm said Wednesday the Bitpanda Card can be linked to any asset in a user's portfolio on the platform, which can be selected via the company's app.
- “We wanted to build a product that is missing in the market by asking ourselves why it wasn’t possible to spend your investments at any time you want," said Eric Demuth, Bitpanda co-founder and CEO.
- The Visa-branded physical card allows users to shop online and in stores globally. Payments can also be contactless using Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
- Transactions are processed instantly and real-time push notifications are sent to users when the card is used, the firm said.
- Bitpanda customers residing in the European Union can now apply for the card.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.