Digital asset management firm CoinShares announced Monday it’s launching an exchange-traded bitcoin product (ETP) on Swiss stock exchange SIX, according to a Bloomberg report.
- The ETP will go live on Jan. 19 and will be listed under the ticker BITC.
- Bitcoin ETPs provide exposure to bitcoin in a regulated asset class. In contrast to the U.S., where regulators have been loathe to sign off on bitcoin ETF applications, there are already several entities offering crypto-backed products across Europe.
- The product’s assets will be custodied by Komainu, a venture that launched about a year ago involving Nomura Holdings, CoinShares and Ledger.
- BITC will charge a 0.98% expense ratio and will be physically backed by bitcoin.
- Just last week, digital asset-backed securities developer ETC Group announced it would list a physically backed bitcoin ETP on SIX.
- ETC Group was the 34th ETP provider on the exchange, making CoinShares the 35th.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.