Bitcoin exchange Bakkt has inked a business combination deal that will result in the Intercontinental Exchange subsidiary becoming a publicly traded company.
- According to an announcement Monday, the agreement will see Bakkt merge with VPC Impact Acquisition Holdings, a special purpose acquisition company sponsored by Victory Park Capital.
- The combined company will be called "Bakkt Holdings" and will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange with an expected valuation of $2.1 billion.
- With the announcement, Gavin Michael, former head of technology of Citi’s Global Consumer Bank, is joining Bakkt as CEO effective today.
- Bakkt investors' equity will roll into the combined company, with Intercontinental Exchange contributing an additional $50 million, according to the announcement.
- A year ago, Bakkt acquired loyalty rewards provider Bridge2 Solutions, with help from Intercontinental Exchange.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.