Former Canaan Directors to Guide Chinese Gaming Firm's Pivot to Crypto Mining
Former directors of Canaan Inc. are investing in the Shanghai firm and will help launch its new mining subsidiary.
U.S.-listed Chinese gaming company The9 (NASDAQ: NCTY) has announced plans to enter the cryptocurrency mining space.
- In a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing, The9 said it had signed a legally binding "cooperation and investment" agreement with investors, including two former directors of cryptocurrency miner maker Canaan (NASDAQ: CAN).
- The company said it is working with the investors – led by Jianping Kong, former director and co-chairman of Canaan – to launch its new cryptocurrency mining operation via a wholly owned subsidiary called NBTC.
- The9 is an internet and mobile gaming firm based in Shanghai.
- “Our goal is to build up cryptocurrencies mining machines for The9 that will contribute 8% to 10% of the global hashrate of bitcoin, 10% of the global hashrate of [ether] and 10% of the global hashrate of grin and become one of the world's largest cryptocurrencies mining companies in terms of hashrate," said Jun Zhu, chairman and CEO of The9.
- The investment agreement will see the issuance of issue Class A ordinary shares and warrants bringing the right to purchase more shares in four tranches. The firm expects to raise around $34 million if all the warrants are exercised.
- Following the announcement, The9’s shares spiked 87% to $6.62 per share.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.