Nasdaq-Listed Canadian Firm to Invest Over $1M in Bitcoin
Mogo, a Canadian fintech listed on the Nasdaq and Toronto stock exchanges, said it may make further bitcoin investments next year.
Mogo, a Canadian fintech listed on the Nasdaq and Toronto stock exchanges, has announced it will invest in bitcoin.
- The funds come from its CA$17 million (US$13.2 million) investment portfolio, Mogo indicated.
- The initial investment represents around 1.5% of the company's total assets as of the end of Q3 2020.
- “We are strong believers in bitcoin as an asset class and believe this investment is consistent with our goal to make bitcoin investing available to all Canadians,” said Greg Feller, Mogo's president and CFO.
- The news after a number of public companies have made corporate investments in bitcoin, the top cryptocurrency by market cap, seeking to hedge against a falling dollar and future inflation.
- Business intelligence firm MicroStrategy announced Monday that it had made another bitcoin investment worth $650 million. The firm now has 70,470 BTC worth over $1.66 billion in its treasury reserve.
- Jack Dorsey's Square put $50 million – 1% of its assets – into bitcoin in October.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.