JD.Com Says It's Accepting China's Digital Yuan for Latest Lottery
Chinese e-commerce firm JD.Com says it has become the first online platform to accept the nation's central bank digital currency.
Chinese e-commerce firm JD.Com says it has become the first online platform to accept the nation's central bank digital currency (CBDC).
- As reported by Reuters on Saturday, JD Digits – the company's digital technology arm – will accept the digital yuan at its online shopping center during the second mass giveaway of the token in the city of Suzhou.
- CoinDesk previously reported the event, a kind of lottery, will allow the city's residents to apply to win 200 digital yuan as happened with the first such giveaway in Shenzhen in October.
- According to Reuters, there will be a total of 10,000 winners this time around who will be able to spend the tokens at stores that are set up with point-of-sales technology that can handle the CBDC.
- The Suzhou lottery kicks of on Dec. 12 – a shopping festival known as "Double 12" – and is said to be trialing functionality of the token including offline (phone-to-phone) payments.
- Seemingly preparing the ground for the launch of the CBDC, China’s central bank proposed a banking law in October, recognizing the renminbi in both physical and digital form, and outlawing all third-party rivals. This would likely be a blow to cryptocurrencies like Tether's yuan stablecoin if passed.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.