Galaxy Digital Gets Initial Approval for New Bitcoin Fund in Canada
The CI Galaxy Bitcoin Fund has had a preliminary prospectus approved by Canadian securities regulators for an initial public offering.
Galaxy Digital, the digital asset manager founded by Mike Novogratz, is to launch a bitcoin fund in Canada.
- Announced on Monday in a press release, the CI Galaxy Bitcoin Fund is a collaboration with CI Global Asset Management and has had a preliminary prospectus approved by securities regulators for an initial public offering, the firms said.
- A closed-end investment fund, it will invest directly in bitcoin and will be priced using the Bloomberg Galaxy Bitcoin Index.
- The firms aim to bring fund investors access to bitcoin via an "institutional-quality" platform.
- Galaxy Digital will be the sub-advisor for the fund and carry out all bitcoin trading, while CI Global will act as the vehicle's manager.
- Last week, Galaxy disclosed it had brought in net income of $44.3 million in Q3 2020, having made a $68.2 million loss in the same period last year. The firm put it down to the rallying bitcoin market.
- At the same time, it also acquired two digital asset firms, hoping to set itself up as the "go-to" firm for institutional investors.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.