Blockchain-Based Lender Figure Technologies Applies for US National Bank Charter
If granted, the charter would replace the blockchain-based lender's hodgepodge of state licenses with a single nationwide regulator.
Figure Technologies has applied for a national bank charter that would simplify compliance and cut costs for the blockchain-based consumer lending startup.
- Former SoFi executive Mike Cagney’s fintech company is seeking the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency’s approval to offer its home equity loans and financing services across the U.S.
- Currently, Figure has 96 licenses from 49 states, and CEO Cagney says that without the national charter it could end up with 200 licenses by next year. Being regulated as a national bank would replace that expensive hodgepodge with a single overseer.
- Figure's Provenance platform is the tech unicorn's claim to fame. The company says the blockchain platform is far more efficient at processing loans than traditional mechanisms.
- In March, Figure conducted on-chain every step of a $150 million home equity loan securitization.
- SoFi, Cagney's previous company, was approved for a national bank charter by the OCC last month. It was the online lender's second attempt; the fintech tried unsuccessfully when Cagney still ran it a few years ago.
UPDATE (Nov. 6, 20:20 UTC): Added links and background about CEO's last venture.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.