HIVE Blockchain has reported its best-ever quarter, as the mining firm raked in record fees from the frenzied activity in decentralized finance (DeFi) over the summer.
- Per CoinDesk's price data, that comes to nearly $11.8 million for mining ether, and a further $664,000 for ethereum classic – approximately $12.4 million at time of writing.
- The figures represent a near 30% increase from the 25,000 ETH that HIVE mined in the first quarter and a 50% increase on the same quarter in 2019.
- HIVE said it currently costs around $150 to mine a single ether. Based on September's average ether price of $343, the company made approximately $193 in gross profit.
- Going by the amount processed across the fiscal quarter, HIVE – which expanded its ETH mining capacity by 20% in March – made roughly $614,000 from ether.
- HIVE attributes its bumper quarter to the fees charged over the summer, when surging interest in DeFi led to record transaction volumes on Ethereum.
- As fees for processing transactions increase with volume, miner revenue increased considerably over the summer.
- CoinDesk reported last month that miners made an estimated $16 million in a single day for confirming DeFi-related transactions on Ethereum.
- Before the announcement, HIVE shares closed 5% down Wednesday at 0.35 CAD ($0.26).
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.