Libra Taps Ex-Homeland Security General Counsel as New Legal Chief
The new general counsel is Libra's second in just three months.
The Libra Association has hired Stevan Bunnel, a veteran of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, as its general counsel just three months after announcing his predecessor.
- According to a Thursday report by Bloomberg Law, Bunnel will replace Libra's first-ever general counsel, Robert Werner, a former FinCEN staffer who was hired in May.
- Werner said Bunnel is "an outstanding lawyer and a great guy."
- Bunnel brings considerable experience to the role having spent time at Homeland Security as general counsel, and before that holding the position of managing partner of the Washington, D.C., office of O’Melveny & Myers LLP, a large international law firm.
- Earlier in his career, Bunnel spent several years at the Washington, D.C., U.S. Attorney's Office, per his LinkedIn profile.
- The general counsel role meant Werner would have had to give up his seat on the board of directors at Deutsche Bank Trust Co., a position he told Bloomberg was unwilling to relinquish.
- The Libra Association, comprised of some 26 members including Facebook, was created to develop a global digital currency payments network.
- The association has come under fire on multiple occasions from regulators and lawmakers over concerns the project poses a threat to central bank policies and fiscal sovereignty.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.