Regulated U.S. cryptocurrency exchange Gemini has launched a custody service for .crypto web domains from blockchain firm Unstoppable Domains.
- In an announcement shared with CoinDesk Thursday, Unstoppable said domain registrars will utilize Gemini's custody services when purchasing .crypto addresses for their clients through its service.
- The blockchain domains are based on non-fungible tokens (NFTs) built on top of the Ethereum network and provide access to the decentralized web.
- Sometimes called crypto collectibles, NFTs are digital tokens that can take different attributes.
- They are held by users in digital wallets, meaning they require careful custody in much in the same way as cryptocurrencies.
- The .crypto domains can also serve as human-readable addresses for accepting a variety of cryptocurrency payments, as well as sending encrypted messages over P2P networks.
- Unstoppable, which is backed by venture capital firm Draper Associates, further offers what it says are censorship-resistant websites that can't to be taken down by government authorities or traditional domain providers.
- Gemini, founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, holds New York State's BitLicense as a trust company, which means the exchange has provide crypto-related services in the jurisdiction. It's also a qualified custodian in the U.S.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.